Documents required at Mozambique's Border Posts

Documents required at Mozambique's Border Posts

Useful and important information when travelling to Mozambique


Covid 19 Requirements (UPDATE 2023):

It is no longer required to provide any Covid PCR (or Rapid) Tests or Vaccination Certificates to enter into Mozambique and return back into South Africa.

Passport & Visa Requirements:

SADC Residents*: Valid Passport with at least 2 months (60 days) remaining until expiry date with sufficient pages (minimum 2 blank pages) for entry and exit stamps. Citizens of SADC countries won’t need a visa for crossing a Mozambique border post, however a visa is required (which can be acquired from the Mozambican border) if you are travelling with a temporary / emergency passport or any other official document that's not your passport.

NON-SADC Residents: Valid Passport with at least 6 months remaining until expiry date with sufficient pages (minimum 2 blank pages) for entry and exit stamps. A visa is required for Non-SADC Residents - which can be acquired from the Mozambican border.

Make sure your passport has been stamped!

*A list of the SADC countries / members: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Drivers' license:

South African, SADC and international drivers' licenses are accepted. If your drivers license is not written in English, then you must provide a certified written translation for officials.

3rd Party Vehicle Insurance:

Compulsory Third Party Liability Insurance Certificate (valid for 30 days from date issued and can be obtained from the border) per vehicle & per towed application.

Temporary Import Permit (TIP):

A temporary import permit (TIP) is required to bring a registered vehicle outside of Mozambique into Mozambique. A TIP permit can be filled in at the Mozambique Border Post.
Important: Make sure the TIP permit has been stamped by officials.

Vehicle registration documents:

If you own the vehicle: If the vehicle is your own and fully payed up, then you are required to bring original vehicle registration & vehicle license papers / documents (be sure to print extra copies of these documents and file them in a protective plastic sleeve).

Note: You will have to contact your current bank with a signed certified letter by a Commissioner of Oaths (the certified letter must state dates of travel) giving you authorisation to take the vehicle across the border into Mozambique.

If you DON'T own the vehicle: If the vehicle is not yours; not registered in your name; is rented or not yet fully paid (still under finance) then you must acquire an affidavit from the police giving you permission from either the vehicle owner, rental company or financial institution in order to take the vehicle across a Mozambican border post. You are also required to bring the original vehicle's registration & vehicle's license papers / documents (be sure to print extra copies of these documents and file them in a protective plastic sleeve). All vehicle registration documents and the affidavit must be certified & signed by a Commissioner of Oaths and the letters must state dates of travel.

*The same applies to boats towed / brought into Mozambique.

Cross-border cover with your vehicle's current insurance policy:

It's important to verify if your insurance policy has cross-border cover for your vehicle in Mozambique & abroad and obtain a letter from your insurance company to confirm cross-border cover. Remember to disclose your travel dates with them to avoid any potential claims from being rejected.

Important Update - New child policy for children under 18 years
(only applies to travellers entering or exiting South Africa for whatever reason):

If you are unaware - a relatively new regulation was inforced by the South African Department of Home Affairs (DHA) on the 1st June 2015 for children under the age of 18 years travelling into and out of South Africa. All adults travelling with children under the age of 18 (regardless if the parents are South African or Non South African passport holders) are required to produce a copy of an unabridged birth certificate for each child who accompanies the adult. The introduction of this new regulation by the DHA is an attempt to decrease cases of child trafficking in and out of South Africa.

Both parents (or legal guardians of the child) traveling with a child:

If both parents or both legal guardians are travelling with a child then they are required to produce and provide:

  • A copy of an unabridged birth certificate (for each child)

One parent traveling with a child without the presence of the other parent:

If you are a single parent, widow(er) or are travelling with a child under the age of 18 years without the presence of the other parent / legal guardian, then the parent or legal guardian of the child is required to produce and provide:

  • A copy of an unabridged birth certificate (for each child)
  • An affidavit (for each child) from the other parent / legal guardian with written consent / permission for the accompanying parent to transport / travel with the child across the border. The affidavit must not be older than 3 months.
  • Divorced / Single parents (or legal guardians of the child) must acquire legal guardianship or full parental rights / responsibilities from a court order for the child in question, and if you are a widow or widower, then you must additionally acquire a death certificate of the deceased parent.

Child traveling with an adult who isn't his or her biological parent:

If you are a parent or legal guardian who's child under the age of 18 years is attending an excursion, tour or merely travelling with their friend's parents into or out of South Africa (without the biological parent's presence), then the parents or legal guardians of the child are required to produce and provide:

  • A copy of an unabridged birth certificate (for each child) for the accompanying adult(s) to transport / travel with the child across the border.
  • An affidavit (for each child) with written consent / permission for the accompanying adult(s) to transport / travel with the child across the border. The affidavit must not be older than 3 months.
  • Copies of their ID documents or passports for the accompanying adult(s) to transport / travel with the child across the border.
  • Their contact details for the accompanying adult(s) to transport / travel with the child across the border.

The scenarios provided above are the most common, however we ask that you kindly visit the DHA website (links below) for clarity, much more information and various other scenarios you may fit in regarding the new Regulations on Traveling with Children into and out of South Africa:

Applying for an unabridged birth certificate (UBC):

If you don't have an unabridged birth certificate and are planning to travel with a child(ren) in the near future, then please visit your nearest Home Affairs office as soon as possible because the process can take 8 weeks or even as long as 6 months (worst case scenario). An Unabridged Birth Certificate costs ZAR 75 per child (rate is subject to change). To get the process underway, you will need to bring your ID Book, child's ID Number and Biometrics (palm, foot or fingerprint) of the child to be registered to your nearest Home Affairs office (and perhaps a black ball point pen too in case the offices don't have any available at the time).
Please click the following link for more detailed information regarding applying for an unabridged birth certificate:

If your infant(s) / child(ren) was born after 13th March 2013, then you should already be in possession of an unabridged birth certificate. If not - please enquire with Home Affairs or apply for a new UBC.

Next Topic:

Mozambique Vehicle & Trailer Regulations

A comprehensive guide (including graphics) for vehicle / trailer regulations and requirements going into Mozambique

Read More
Visual Guide
Other Places of Interest:

Bazaruto Islands

Southern Mozambique

Santa Carolina (One of the Bazaruto Islands) hosted the popular and well known TV Show 'Survivor South Africa' in 2010.


Southern Mozambique

Visitors will be pleasantly treated with a game drive through the Maputo Special Reserve before reaching the Machangulo Peninsula. Spot various wildlife from elephants to giraffes, zebra, antelope, flamingos, crocodiles, hippos, birdlife among others ...


Southern Mozambique

Zavora is a beautiful beach renowned for its huge protective reef running 2km parallel and close to the shoreline. This reef acts as a natural tidal pool with shallow, calm waters, perfect for activities such as snorkeling, swimming and fishing

Island of Mozambique

Northern Mozambique

The Island of Mozambique has played an important role since the 10th century in intercontinental trade to the East, in the 16th century is was an established and wealthy trading port for ships sailing on monsoon winds and where cargoes of ivory, gold and slaves were traded for fabrics and spices from India and Arabia.


Southern Mozambique

Tofo Bay is ideally situated along the well renowned Manta Coast - a popular dive site region for all levels of diving experience with over 30 dive sites to explore.

Santa Maria

Southern Mozambique

Find beautiful pansy shells off the beaches of Santa Maria during a spring low tide, full or new moon.


Southern Mozambique

Ponta Falsa (the tip of Pomene beach) has some great rocky cliff features including the "whole in the wall" and a huge blowhole. Explore the ruins of the Old Pomene Hotel which was once the holiday home of Samora Machel where one can admire beautiful bay views

My Favourites
Empty your Favourites
My Calculator
Currency Converter

Select Currency & enter an Amount to convert

My Travel Book
Search Site
Start typing in keywords such as "Ponta", "Malaria" or "Property For Sale" to bring up the page you're looking for
Categories Explained

For better understanding, we have put together a brief summary guide of what each category means and to also give you an idea of what each associated icon refers to when you see them on listings & adverts.

Listed in alphabetical order

Backpackers Lodge:

Those who are on a tight budget should keep a lookout for this category icon. This type of establishment offers dormitory (shared) bedroom accommodation with other "Backpackers" generally using either single beds or bunk beds with a communal kitchen and shared ablutions.

Bar On-Site:

Meaning the venue has its own bar on-site with staff serving alcohol/non-alcohol beverages and perhaps "pub-grub" included. They may offer satellite TV for bar patrons to follow the latest sporting fixtures live and may also host live music on certain days / evenings.

Bed & Breakfast:

If an establishment has this icon, this means they either include breakfast in their rates or offer the opportunity for you to choose to include breakfast during your stay which is usually served to guests in an on-site breakfast room dinette or restaurant. Some B&B's offer basic / light (continental) breakfasts, Full English breakfasts or buffet style breakfast options.

Campsite / Glamping:

Either they offer camping grounds for you to pitch your own tent if on a tight budget and / or they have their own pre-setup tents for you to camp in, some offering private facilities (aka "Glamping") within their tents such as beds, a fridge, sofa and bathroom.

Conference Venue:

This means the establishment has a dedicated hall room specially arranged and equipped with most facilities to host important business meetings, teambuilding events or any other occasion alike.

Disabled Friendly Accommodation:

Goes without saying. Any establishment marked with this icon and listed under this category offers facilities for those who have reduced mobility. They may have basic facilities for these conditions or advanced. Kindly enquire with them directly for more information and/or specific requirements you may need.

Dive Charter:

These are dive centres who are a team of qualified dive instructors (PADI which means Professional Association of Diving Instructors) offering SCUBA diving lessons for clients and excursions to some of the best dive sites in the region for an unforgettable underwater adventure.

Eco Lodges:

Environmentally friendly establishments built by local communities using naturally sourced / non-toxic materials with the objective of protecting the surrounding habitat. These types of lodges range from rustic bush and beach to luxury accommodation. Not only does this movement protect the environment, but it also helps support local families.

Fishing Charter:

This means the associated business offers professional paid-for deep sea fishing charters / outings and excursions for those fishing enthusiasts (and for newbies). They generally have a fully equipped fishing boat and all the fishing gear ready for clients to bait up and cast a line. Their expertize, knowledge and experience will reward you with some of the best fishing spots for an action packed deep sea fishing experience.

For Sale:

If you're looking to invest or buy property in Mozambique, keep an eye out for this category for the latest in the property market.

Full Board Accommodation:

Full Board means breakfast, lunch and dinner (also known as "All Inclusive"). If a venue is listed under this category, then they either offer guests the choice of a full board meal plan during their stay or their rates by default include full board meals. a lot of these establishments will have private personal chefs serving guests top class cuisine.

Group Accommodation:

Because this is a popular search and request amongst many, we have created this specific category for exactly that - group accommodation which is very much the same as our Holiday Homes category. These are establishments that can cater and accommodate for large groups of 8 people and up in the same house / unit offering most self catering facilities as if you are "home away from home".

Guest House:

Similar to a typical B&B, a Guest House is usually a private house offering very few accommodation units all within the main building structure (or some seperately). Some serve home cooked meals within their in-house dining room specially catered to seat all their guests and offer a lounge area where fellow travellers can interact, socialize and share stories.

Holiday Home:

This type of accommodation is usually ideal for large groups of people going on holiday being a "home away from home" with numerous bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen for your self catering needs, lounge, toilets, braai/BBQ area, some with a swimming pool and some offering exclusive privacy.

Honeymoon / Romantic Accommodation:

Very self-explanatory. A venue will be listed under this category if they offer a specific luxury, private honeymoon suite or because our admin has "hand-picked" the establishment to be perfect for such an occasion based on their location and facilities offered. However, you are the best judge when it comes to planning that special getaway with your loved one anyway. Pssst ... and it doesn't have to be expensive either to enjoy, right?!


A hotel is generally a large premises that can accommodate a large amount of guests in many adjacent rooms grading from standard 2 sleeper units to "executive" luxury suites offering more in-room space and facilities. They generally have a restaurant and bar on-site for all day meals and drinks (quite often offered on a buffet dining basis). Other on-site facilities may include a swimming pool, gym, spa, in/outdoor entertainment area for kids, a conference / wedding room for meetings / ceremonies and a small shop.

Restaurant / Personal Chef(s) On-Site:

This indicates that the establishment has a small / large restaurant on-site for their guests (they may also accept walk-ins for non-guests) or they have on-board catering staff serving guests in their own private space or in a designated dining area.

Self Catering:

This type of establishment offers guests facilities required to cater / cook on their own terms whether it be within a holiday home for example or on communal grounds.


This means the establishment has spa facilities and services offered to guests who are looking for personal treatments during their vacation.

Tours & Safaris:

These business services can range from swimming with dolphins, horse riding, city tours, boat tours, island tours, dhow tours to game drives and more. You'll have to click on their advert to find out more and what they have to offer.

Wedding Venue:

This means, the venue has all the on-site facilities and catering services to host large or small weddings and ceremonies. Depending on the size of the wedding, some may have enough units to accommodate all wedding guests.